Lot's of different pics of this sign.

Lot's of different pics of this sign.
"I don't make hell for nobody. I'm only the instrument of a laughing providence. Sometimes I don't like it myself, but I couldn't help it if I was born smart."

1st Sgt. Milton Anthony Warden.
"From here to Eternity"

Paul Valery

"You are in love with intelligence, until it frightens you. For your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time."

The Wisdom of the Ages

"When a young man, I read somewhere the following: God the Almighty said, 'All that is too complex is unnecessary, and it is simple that is needed',"

Mikhail Kalashnikov
"Here lies the bravest soldier I've seen since my mirror got grease on it."

Zapp Brannigan

Sunday, May 11, 2014

What The Fuck Is A Doodlebug?

It's not this:

Although... it is and it isn't.









Nor is it this; same story as above.











It's not even this... the coolness-below-the-cool, Texaco-designed, Diamond-T - built, 1500 gal, Doodlebug fuel-truck.
 No, the doodlebug at issue is this marvel of redneck ingenuity developed during the depression and reaching its full flower during the war years.
The doodlebug tractor.
Times were tough in the thirties and full-on tractors were out of reach for lots of small farmers.
It had been noted however, that a secondhand Model T or Model A, or Chevy or whatever - could be gotten cheap if you weren't part6icular about looks.
First thing: Cut down the frame. Replace the rear-end with a truck unit. Put in a second transmission, right behind the first and you're good to go.
Further refinements: Duals (pictured), tire-chains and filling the frame rails with concrete for ballast.

The concept can skip around in time as well. The purple Chevy looks to be set up for log skidding.
Bare-bone version with a Model-T four-banger - cut in half - which apparently you could do with them. I fail to see the point but...

This was such a bitchin'-cool idea that Sears and Monkey Ward got in on the action and sold kits.

This incongruous truck picture is only included to give you an idea what the final 'bug' we'll be looking at would have originally looked like.
This gorgeous jewel is the thing that first introduced me to the whole, doodlebug concept.
I stumbled across it while looking at pictures of ugly trucks. I've got a thing about ugly trucks and my ugly truck has a thing for me... I know it.
But...then I saw this thing.
And what a butt-ugly thing she was/is.
So hold the above image in your mind while you witness what sixty years and a serious bent toward funkiness has lent to...

And the Cammo!
I'm left without speech but the best part is: Still powered by the original... wait for it... 235 straight-six.
Wiki sez:

"The Chevrolet 235-cubic-inch is known as one of the great Chevrolet engines, noted for its power and durability. It was gradually replaced by the third generation 230, beginning in 1963."

Locations of visitors to this page