Lot's of different pics of this sign.

Lot's of different pics of this sign.
"I don't make hell for nobody. I'm only the instrument of a laughing providence. Sometimes I don't like it myself, but I couldn't help it if I was born smart."

1st Sgt. Milton Anthony Warden.
"From here to Eternity"

Paul Valery

"You are in love with intelligence, until it frightens you. For your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time."

The Wisdom of the Ages

"When a young man, I read somewhere the following: God the Almighty said, 'All that is too complex is unnecessary, and it is simple that is needed',"

Mikhail Kalashnikov
"Here lies the bravest soldier I've seen since my mirror got grease on it."

Zapp Brannigan

Monday, March 01, 2010

Time I'll Never Get Back

My intention has always been this; to never diss on anyone else's anorak-itude, and I'll not do so now.

Paper model making; I'd never heard of it - as a discipline, 'till the other day when I was Googling pictures of my, increasingly beloved (I'm slipping), Putilov-Garford.
I'd had footage of WW1 vintage, Polish armored cars posted here and the old 'PG' was there, nimbly slipping about - as is her wont with other, less svelte AFV's.
Well, the owner pulled the video so, in despair and in aid of assuaging my grief, I was cruising pics and came upon this:

No indicator of scale but a link to where it came from, Paperpanzer.
Okay, enough about the Garford - for now.
This guy, one Andy Holmes, my introduction to this where-the-hell-did-this-come-from (To my narrow mind) phenomenon, was the generous donor of my, for the moment, pride and joy (at top).
My very own Alpha-Seven-Victor was the expenditure of time alluded to in the title.
All told... an hour?

However long, it was well sufficient to assure me that, no matter how I felt about this, my eyesight was decades away (and not in the direction that would allow me to wait for it) from any kind of competent execution.
And the A7V was an easy choice for me because... well, you could carve a convincing one out a 2# brick of cheese.
Still, I just love the little thing to pieces.
It makes me wish I had the time/balls to go ahead with the PG (I'm going to say that time is the big issue, else my balls may be weighed in the balance and thus found wanting - by someone not in-house).
Anyway, tiny little paper, ultimate coolnesses.
Pre-colored (for the competent). So no one need resort to my tawdry trick of - just spray-painting it!
Poor folks got poor ways.
Go to his site. He's A7V's in several flavors.
Two-fifty a pop.
Spendy you say, for a PDF.
Spend a dime, ya Bum!
And, to Andy, if you turn up here, I cobbled the guns. I rolled the main gun out of paper but all the MG's are chunks of incense stick (The cat took a shit in my office, if you must know! And I'm not a hippie!).
Sir, I stand in awe.
Okay, now.
Let's enjoy a pictorial interlude with the much-lamented Putilov Garford.
First, a full (as full as my scanner will allow) scan of a Darius Kinsey pic; a Garford pulling a cedar log across a bridge in Washington state around the time her sisters were "over there".

Ah, it's a pity Bottecelli never ran across a five-ton Garford.

I know, this one's on the masthead. It won't be there forever.
"Ya ain't stuck 'till ya' gotta' walk." And these guys had to walk.




And if I turn my A7V so it's in this position;

it looks just like the picture.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Ahhhh! Now we really know why the wheels at the "mercenary adjunct" turn so slowly!

Dan brock said...

Andy Bro,
Ya got me all wrong.
I'm far to lazy for this - not to mention limited in attention...
what?

The "purposefully paced" wheels you mention, so move because I'm a drifty screw-off.
And I'm just waitin' for the rapture.

Locations of visitors to this page