Lot's of different pics of this sign.

Lot's of different pics of this sign.
"I don't make hell for nobody. I'm only the instrument of a laughing providence. Sometimes I don't like it myself, but I couldn't help it if I was born smart."

1st Sgt. Milton Anthony Warden.
"From here to Eternity"

Paul Valery

"You are in love with intelligence, until it frightens you. For your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time."

The Wisdom of the Ages

"When a young man, I read somewhere the following: God the Almighty said, 'All that is too complex is unnecessary, and it is simple that is needed',"

Mikhail Kalashnikov
"Here lies the bravest soldier I've seen since my mirror got grease on it."

Zapp Brannigan

Monday, March 08, 2010

Anorak Alert! Scammell!


More arcana from the British heavy-haulers:
I don't know how I got on this tangent but was looking at pictures of Scammell Pioneers and stumbled onto an entire treatise on the "once-largest-capacity-truck-in-the-world", the 100 ton Scammell.
Back when I discovered these things and wrote of same, I mentioned that the entire tongue weight was carried on just one axle.
Turns out, it only looks like one axle.
It's actually two axles, two wheels apiece - side-by-side.

As seen in the pic above, a central differential provided power to two double-sprockets (Meccano mock-up here).
An additional gear ratio was available at this point as well which doubled the four speeds available at the transmission. However, each, rear axle's speed had to be set serarately - from outside the cab - I assume at a dead stop as well.
The article is an interesting read but I'm into excitement.

Behold! The Mighty Scammell Pioneer that I, fool incarnate, damned with faint praise here.
I confess, I was blown away by the Pioneer's big brother the Explorer. My bad.
A year ago, when I first discovered these things I'd known that the rear-axle articulation was something special but I didn't understand the how of it.
Rather than the two differentials that the 6x6's I was familiar with used, the Scammell set-up consisted of a single central differential powering two spindles which terminate in walking beams with a wheel at each end. Said wheels being driven by chains.
Sound familiar?
Meccano showed us the way of things earlier.
Now Lego picks up the baton.
Thank you.
Okay, this is mostly a fanboy gush about the Pioneer so, with minimal further ado...
Next, one of the big boys still on the job, moving houses down in En Zed.



I'd like to point out at this time that, for God knows what reason, I never have solid handle on how big these things really are.
For example, in the film above it just looks like a big pick-up when, in reality, it's a log-truck.
A bit low-slung but a log truck nonetheless.
Settle down now. A movie of the old girl on the job.

From now on, pic fest.
First, we've got to throw a bone to the Explorer.



Ah well. Somewhere I have another photo of a Pioneer in its capacity as a tank-transporter but I fear that I may have overstimulated you.
So let's all sit back down now for a serious test of attention span (and you should know _ I've watched this thing half a dozen times already - and it just gets better and better.
Maybe I'm nuts but this shit fascinates me.
Slow-motion thrills circa 1952, courtesy of Scammell (of course), E. W. Rudd and British Transport Films.
The narration alone is well worth the price of admission so "...park it and get some corns on yer squeakers".
This is entertainment.
Shhh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

yanmaneee said...

nike sb dunks
off white
kenzo clothing
golden goose sneakers
off white
yeezys
golden goose sneakers
curry 5
retro jordans
golden goose

tirot said...

company website Your Domain Name More hints see here now a knockout post site

Locations of visitors to this page