Lot's of different pics of this sign.

Lot's of different pics of this sign.
"I don't make hell for nobody. I'm only the instrument of a laughing providence. Sometimes I don't like it myself, but I couldn't help it if I was born smart."

1st Sgt. Milton Anthony Warden.
"From here to Eternity"

Paul Valery

"You are in love with intelligence, until it frightens you. For your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time."

The Wisdom of the Ages

"When a young man, I read somewhere the following: God the Almighty said, 'All that is too complex is unnecessary, and it is simple that is needed',"

Mikhail Kalashnikov
"Here lies the bravest soldier I've seen since my mirror got grease on it."

Zapp Brannigan

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Finally! Something About Knives... kind of

Kudos to Jesse L. of We The Armed.com who showed up last time to take issue with my Georgie Hill obsession.
Now, I hope I was clear in my response to Jesse because I no longer want to beat that horse.
I would like to put this whole thing to bed though, since I can only read Georgie's tripe if I use the other computer in the house - or go to the library, Here's a couple of video links to illustrate my disgust with the FGIC faction.
First this:
"Contract for the American Dream"
Next: the "Voice of the Stupid" AKA Fox News' response:
And these are the adults.
Please watch enough of it so you can see/hear this twat, Kathleen T. McFarland, give voice to this:

"These kids are a bunch of dorks."

I hope those two vids were watched - at least enough to get the sense of why I personally believe that anyone who watches Fox News, other than ironically or to gather material for a stand-up act, is either morally bankrupt, stupid or some combination of the two.
And let's not forget Sociopath Barbie:
Why isn't this bloodthirsty bitch in the military? Psychotic... oh yeah,
Enough said.
Jesse, you're an intelligent, sensitive guy as I've said before; if you come here again - and I hope you do - comment. On these videos, please.

Okay, on to bidness...
This is a better mousetrap that never saw production - probably because it was presented a couple years too late.
But Mr. Hughes had a really good idea.
What you're looking at is, in essence, a switchblade held by a strap so that it rides on the back of the hand, perpendicular to the arm.
The top drawing isn't really clear but it shows how a rifle stock can be gripped even with the knife deployed.
Its spring arrangement was a bit fiddly involving a tiny piece of cable but the entire thing could certainly have been streamlined, perhaps even by mounting the blade horizontally to the hand had there been financial incentive.
It is, to my mind a really great idea and would have seen much success - in 1915.
Patent here.


This, pictured above, is something entirely different.
First of all: it was manufactured although the pictured example is seriously long-in-the-tooth.
The leather bits are hard to figure out but the guts of the thing is an oblong of cast brass, large enough to fit the knuckles of the right hand (Sorry lefties. Right hand only) with a square steel spike - on the palm side, that can be pushed down with the thumb until a spring locks it in place.
With me so far?
Next up: the same thing only different. Spike in full extended position.
Okay, just to make a complicated concept on slightly complicateder, is a pic of the unit folded into its pocket sized, transport status.

Okay, still not really clear what this thing is but it is clearly sporting some nasty spikes on what would be the outboard, knuckle portion, of the brass casting.
At the top you'll find what looks to be a Sam Browne button which originally no doubted mated with that slot torn in the wet-cardboard that the leather has deteriorated into.
It all comes together with the small nub of a strap with attached buckle on the right.
That would be the strap the corresponding half of which is conspicuous by its absence.
Next up: A helpful (maybe) visual aid. My slightly undersized (I got it pretty damned close!) cardboard mock-up of the unit as worn.
It should be fairly self explanatory. Imagine that my left hand isn't there and the tape on the wrist portion is replaced by the aforementioned buckle and its mating bit on the other side.
Essentially, this thing is worn like a glove with a buckled strap securing it around the wrist.
The knuckle side presents the wicked spikes seen earlier, backed by a brass, single-hole knuckleduster.
On the palm side is a square spike that can be pushed down by the thumb to a protruding length of 1, 1/2" (?).
I think this thing is waaaay beyond merely cool and I'd love to make one.
Alas, prior commitments, baby-need-a-pair-of-shoes (Fuck! They're not babies. We're talking new shoes every three months) preclude my jumping into it.
However, an expected purchase can always make the R&D worth it.
Case in point:
The Canadian Tunneler's dagger. I've only sold the one but I'm glad I made it - and the one I still have.
Anyone? Anyone?
Locations of visitors to this page